My friends and family have been asking me to start a blog for quite some time. Some just want an easier way to access my recipes, some are looking for tips on how to plan a weekly menu or even a party menu and others just think I have some special secret to weight loss/management. No matter the reason, here I am.
So, where to start? Maybe with the 40lbs of butternut squash that I got from my local CSA! Who knew how much squash that would be? Certainly not me… (this is only half of it)!!!
Butternut Squash Chipotle Bisque
1 medium butternut squash
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
Salt 3 tsp minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds, discarding the pulp.
- Grease a glass baking dish or baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place the squash in the dish, cut side down. Pierce all over with a fork and roast 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp oil in a large, heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and sauté for 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh of the squash into the pot and stir. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, or with a hand held blender until smooth. Return soup to the pot and keep warm over medium-low heat. Mix in 2 teaspoons of the chipotle.
- In a separate bowl, stir 1 teaspoon of the minced chipotle into the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the bisque to individual soup bowls and top each with a dollop of chipotle cream.
Makes 8 servings